InternshipsPage address: http://english.mnsu.edu/grad/internships.htm
In addition to the ongoing internships listed below, individual programs may offer discipline-specific internships including teaching internships.
For further information on internships suitable to your specific English degree and eligibility requirements, consult the following:
- For Creative Writing and Literature & English Studies, see your advisor.
- For Film Studies, see the Film Studies Advisor.
- For Technical Communication, see your advisor and the internship page.
Star Tribune Summer Internship
The Star Tribune newsroom offers internships to qualified students each summer. They select more than 10 college and graduate students for paid 10-week positions as reporters, copy editors/multiplatform editors, designers, photographers and multimedia producers. For more information about next summer's internships which usually have a December deadline, see summer internship programs.
Most successful applicants have
- completed their junior year in college
- worked for a college news outlet AND interned with at least one other professional daily news organization.
Intern with the Office of US Congressman Tim Walz
The Mankato District Office of United States Congressman Tim Walz accepts applications from students and recent graduates who are interested in learning about how a Congressional District Office functions. Interns gain first-hand insight into how a member of Congress provides constituent services and interacts with the community they represent. English Department students will gain experience in communication and public relations.
For more information about internship duties click here.
March of Dimes
The Mankato office of the March of Dimes periodically hires interns for work in the fund-raising field. Students in all English majors are encouraged to apply.
Intern Job Description
- Assist with Annual Fundraising Events
- Office Administration/Administrative Duties
- Fundraising Database Management
- Market Research
- Support existing Social Media accounts
Two days a week from 10a-3p.
Please stop by the office, 107 N 2nd Street, Suite 103, Mankato, MN 56001, or phone 407-388-6342.
About the March of Dimes
The March of Dimes Foundation is a nationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the health of babies by preventing premature birth, birth defects and infant mortality. Annually, our Division holds three types of fundraising events: March for Babies (spring), Signature Chefs Auction (fall), and Jail & Bails (summer-winter).
Minnesota Book Publishing Internship Resource
Internships on publications throughout Minnesota are listed on the Minnesota Book Publishers Roundtable site. Visit this website for available internships in Minnesota.
Publishing Internship at Black Rabbit Books
Purpose: To provide a wide range of experience in children's book publishing in editing, marketing, and general publishing skills.
- Editorial (70%)
- Edit one series of nonfiction children's books (4-6 books, to be determined by site supervisor based on workload)
- Fact-check manuscripts in reliable sources
- Review at least one book in the manuscript stage and make comments to author (if manuscript schedule lines up with internship schedule)
- Proofreading books as assigned (will vary with workload)
- Proofreading marketing materials such as catalogs or advanced sales sheets (seasonal)
- Special Projects/Marketing (10%)
- Varies seasonally, but this may include things like writing or proofreading e-mail blasts, social networking, promotional projects such as sending books out for review, website updates, or other projects as assigned by supervisor.
- General Publishing and Project Management Tasks (20%)
- Cataloging-in-Publication data—complete applications to the Library of Congress and monitor returns.
- Accelerated Reader—submit books online to receive grade levels for books.
- Schedule and prioritize projects with input from supervisor.
- Attend production meetings if needed.
- Prefer English majors with Senior class status who have a genuine interest in publishing
- Candidate must be able to work off-site on own computer (with Internet access and Microsoft Office), but be available to come to our office in Mankato once or twice a week for meetings and training.
- 10-12 hours per week
- Internship is unpaid
- Submit cover letter (including which semester you're available), resume, and writing sample to
Black Rabbit Books
P.O. Box 3263
Mankato, MN 56002