Admissions RequirementsPage address: http://english.mnsu.edu/cw/admissions.html
To enter the program without deficiency, you must have the equivalent of at least a minor in English--that is, 18 semester credits in literature, writing, and/or linguistics. (Often, an allied major, such as Mass Communications or Film Studies, will suffice.) Students who enter with small deficiencies may be allowed to make them up within their programs.
Deadlines for applications: February 1 to be considered for a Teaching or other Graduate Assistantship sponsored by the Department. April 15 for fall-term admission only.
By one of the above dates, you must submit the following to the Creative Writing Program in the Department of English. Find the links to necessary forms below and also at our application site. Once you have gathered the materials you need, upload your documents to our Submittable site.
- a writing sample: 10 pages of poetry, or 20 pages of prose (with a short explanation if an excerpt)
- a 1-2 page statement describing your background in writing and your interest in working in a graduate creative writing program
- if interested, a Graduate Assistantship Application, with additional material required by the Department of English. For additional info about graduate assistantships offered by the Department, check the employment page.
- two letters of recommendation addressing your preparation for graduate study and (if relevant) for a teaching or other graduate assistantship
- a completed Application for Graduate Study (all required forms, transcripts and fee)
- verification of your baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college (if your baccalaureate degree has not been completed at the time of application, send a current transcript with your application and send a verification of your degree directly to the Graduate School upon completion)
- any additional information required of international students (see this page at the College of Graduate Studies web site)
GRE scores are not required.
Candidates whose native language is not English must have a TOEFL score of at least 550.
The Department of English employs about 30 teaching and research assistants at stipends of approximately $9000 over two semesters. Assistants receive full tuition remission for up to 18 credits over the academic year (two semesters). All graduate assistants are required to enroll for a minimum of six credits per semester. Assistants are provided office space and have faculty library privileges.
Teaching Assistants in the Department of English typically teach freshman composition. The TA Director provides a supportive atmosphere where assistants learn composition theory and pedagogy. In addition, assistants are trained in the latest methods of computer-assisted writing instruction. For more information, visit the English Graduate Assistantships web page
Other assistantships are available from Student Affairs, Learning Center, Memorial Library, and Residential Life offices of the University. For a list of available graduate assistantships, visit the Human Resources Job Posting web page on the College of Graduate Studies web site.
For information about other types of financial assistance, students should write to:
Office of Financial Aid
Minnesota State University, Mankato
109 Wigley Administration Center
Mankato, MN 56001
Telephone: (507) 389-1185
Contact via the Campus Hub